The Flight Head XL & XXL are based on the same design geometry as the Flight Head V.
They are bigger brother version designed to carry today’s large 3D rigs from Pace, Quasar, Tango. Since acquiring our Flight XL and XXL heads we have been using them on the Russian Arm on various 3D films. Recently we have used the XL on Resident Evil Retribution (RE5), Metalica Chaos, Underworld 4, Spivet.
Stabilization On 3D
Stabilization on 3D is even more important because of the mirrors used. Any vibration of the mirror will make the image unusable. When on the Russian Arm the shock and punishment the head takes is far greater than in a studio crane (Techno) environment so stabilization is very important. And the XLs handle it with ease.
The films were shot in a variety of conditions: rain, off road in dusty country roads in Alberta, wet downs at speed on city streets in Vancouver and Toronto. On RE5 and Underworld we used air knives with Scuba tanks mounted to the roof of the ML55.
- Flight Head XL & XXL Specs
- 3 Axis Gyro-Stabilized.
- Back-pan compensation.
- Rotary Oil Damper Leveling System.
- Long Range RF Wireless capability.
- Digital Auto Horizon always keeps camera level even in hi G turns.
- The FHXL is operated via joystick or hand wheels.
*** NOTE: WITH THE RUSSIAN ARM WE RECOMEND JOYSTICK CONTROL FOR PERFORMANCE AND SAFETY REASONS ***
- Zoom and Focus on Joystick control for Broadcast Cameras.
- Payload capacity up to 80 kg/ 180 lbs.
- Wide range of 3D rigs: Pace, Quasar, Tango
- Total Head weight with Pace 3D Rig & Alexa Ms: 100 kg/ 220 lbs. Ok for 50’ Techno Crane.
- Pan axis travels through 360° with back-pan compensation.
- Roll axis travels through 270° with auto horizon.
*** NOTE: NO FULL 360° ROTATIONON ROLL AXIS ***
- Tilt Axis travels through 200°.
- Pan Speed, Roll Speed, Tilt Speed 160 °/sec.
- Preston FIZ plugs into head console to give Zoom control on the left joy stick.
- FHXL Weight only 32 kg.
- FHXXL Weight only 38 kg.
- Temperature range from -40 °C up to +40 °С.
- Mounts to standard Mitchell base.